Well, it’s nearing the end of yet another year and I’m sure we all have our personal picks of what we consider our favorite viral videos for 2011. For me, this year may not have been one of the most innovating years in terms of viral content, but it certainly has been one in terms of reach and scope. As people are getting themselves more connected on the Web, it’s been much easier to deliver a specific message to them via video.
Now, I would like to list down 6 viral videos which had the biggest impact for me this year:
1. Webcam 101 for Seniors
– This video shows that you’re never too old to learn something new. The elderly couple of Bruce and Esther Huffman play a couple of funny shinanigansin front of their webcam as they try to figure out how to make the device work. This viral video was actually featured on the news and sparked the interest of the nation as it placed a satirical light on how senior citizens seem to have so much difficulty figuring out today’s high tech gadgets.
2. The Force: Volkswagen Commercial
–It’s always great whenever big companies try to appeal to everyone by putting a heartwarming yet humorous spin to their normally big, budget productions. This video hits home on several fronts, appealing to Star Wars fans, car enthusiasts and family audiences alike.
3. Life in a Day
– On July 24, 2010, acclaimed directors Ridley Scott and Kevin Macdonald accepted over 80,000 user submitted videos and compiled it into a 94 minute montage film which highlights the events of a day in the life on our planet. It was a very ambitious project which amazed audiences at the Sundance Berlin and the SXSW Film Festival. Because I didn’t want anyone stuck preloading the entire thing, I’ve only embedded the trailer to the actual movie below.
4. Seagull stole GoPro
– The amazing thing about this particular video is that people still argue whether this was a staged publicity stunt to promote the GoPro camera or whether it was actually stolen by a pilfering, tech-loving seagull. The company itself denies having made this video, but the video really seems too perfect to be real. Regardless, its effectiveness as a viral video cannot be denied.
5. Old Spice Mano a Mano
– While the Old Spice Guy ad campaign originally ran in 2010, its latest series, Mano a Mano in El Baño, sparked new life into one of the biggest and most viewed viral video campaigns on the Internet. It was quite ingenious how the advertisers were able to create a so-called running rivalry between Isaiah Mustafah, the original Old Spice Guy, and Fabio, who was supposed to take over the role of the spokesperson for Old Spice. This got the support of a lot of viewers and fans who wanted to see how this particular match up would play out. This series was a great example of how to follow up on one’s previous success and turn it into more viral video gold.
6. Ojai Valley Taxidermy Ad
– Followers of trendy Internet memes will definitely recognize this unlikely, yet successful viral video ad. If you’ve heard of the phrase “Nope! Chuck Testa.”, then this is the video that started it all. Produced by YouTube celebrities Rhett McLaughlin and Link Neal, they were able to catapult Chuck Testa into viral video fame thanks to this amusing commercial ad that has garnered over 8 million views at the time of this writing.
So what are your favorite viral videos of 2011, cuzzins?
Andy “Going Viral” Jenkins