The recent death of former Apple CEO Steve Jobs caused big waves across the world. Not only did the world lose one of the great pioneers of the Information Age, but also an amazing visionary in the field of technology. Now the only way people will still be able to meet him are through the recorded videos and the articles that were written about him.
Case in point, this week’s viral video review focuses on one of the videos featuring the late great Steve Jobs. Funny enough, this video isn’t even one of his more recent public appearances, but the rate at which it became viral is just phenomenal. Originally taken in 2005, the video features him giving a commemorative address to the then fresh batch of graduates from Stanford University. If you’re interested in seeing this very inspiring video, you can check it out below:
- It’s interesting because it’s relevant – As of last year, this video had over a million views which was still a pretty impressive number. However, only weeks after the death of Steve Jobs, the number of views and shares ballooned to over 10 times the original amount and hit more than 11 million views as of the writing of this review. It’s amazing how the aftermath of recent events can influence viewership. I guess it really is true what they say about remembering people more fondly once they’re gone.
- Wise words enrich hungry minds – There are no surprises here considering that the speech he gave was aimed at a group of fresh, young graduates ready to take on the world. In fact, anyone listening to his words would do well to heed the advice that he gives since he recounts the story of his life and the key milestones that he reached to get there.
- It’s not exactly short, is it? – As viral videos go, this is a pretty long sitting of 15 minutes. While there is a lot of substance to what he says in the video, you’re really going to have to devote a full 15 minutes just to finish the entire thing. Actually, the visuals aren’t all that important to this kind of medium and it could probably have been better to turn this into a podcast. Still, an epic video like this can be considered a true historical stamp of one of the most influential men of our time.
- Not aimed towards any specific audience – It’s important to know who your target audience is when it comes to cooking up and dishing out your videos. In this case, it’s not really aimed at a specific audience as it is just a recording of a commemorative event starring the Big Apple. However, like I previously mentioned, you don’t have to be a fresh college graduate to appreciate watching this video and you’ll still be able to get a lot of useful insights by just watching it.
- Probably the first and last video of its series – A sad but true fact. Most viral videos hope to follow through on their success with even more videos and increase its viewership over time. It’s most unfortunate that there will never be any more commemoration addresses with Steve Jobs doling out nuggets of wisdom to all aspiring tech geniuses out there.
While there seems to be more cons than pros in this particular viral video, I can’t really say that it was ineffective with the way that it spread itself across the Interweb. In any case, I’m sure that this is one video that will be remembered for all time. If you want to share your own favorite video of Steve Jobs, feel free to share the link in the comments section below.